Thursday, December 9, 2010

That Old Black Magic

     An interesting story is developing in my city this Christmas season involving the Salvation Army and what they will or will not accept as donations for children. Our local CTV News did a piece on this after an anonymous volunteer told them the "Sally Ann" was separating out Harry Potter merchandise as well as anything Twilight related because of what they call "black magic" themes. They say they are donating these items to a third party, but will not say who. They also state that a Christian organization should not be giving out these kinds of items to kids. Which of course begs the question, is the Salvation Army for helping the poor or for proselytizing to the poor?, because, one of their stated policies is "(the) ministry extends to all, without discrimination" That is unless you are homosexual of course, hey they are an Evangelical religious organization, they have to tow a line somewhere!
     The National branch of the Salvation Army stated that all decisions about donations are made by local chapters, so I tried phoning them today but got a recorded message, something tells me they are not going to return my call though! I would like to know if they accept Disney related toys, as there are some magical themes going on there, what with the wicked witches, sleeping beauties, talking animals and Mickey Mouse dressed as a Wizard wielding a magic wand in Fantasia. What about dinosaur related toys? For me dinosaurs were just a gateway to accepting evolution as a fact. It's a pretty secular world out there and a pretty slippery slope when one starts banning ideas as not religious enough. They are accepting toy guns however maybe because they are Christians and an Army? Maybe one day you can grow up to shoot an elk with Sarah Palin? All God's creatures great and small.
     I admit, I am old and have very limited knowledge about Harry Potter. One of my teenaged nieces loves the series and even enters school debates over which is better? Harry or Twilight. I don't see how encouraging kids to read in an age of electronic media can be all that bad? So I had to go to the old Wikipedia to find out what some of the Harry Potter themes are and I must say it all sounds pretty good. Some literary critics say the novels are a plea to end bigotry and question authority with an underlying anti establishment theme, that J.K. Rowling  shows how being intellectually lazy can lead to trouble in her storylines. Wow, I've been trying to tell this to kids for years with varying success, I am glad a young generation is exposed to such themes! I can see however how a religious organization would not like such ideas, good lord!, these books must be a gateway to independent thought, even atheism! I suppose it depends how slippery you want to slope? I also learned that the Harry Potter villain, Voldemort, is apparently obsessed with conquering death and on a continuing quest for immortality. That sounds like another literary character, don't it? If we are talking magical stories here, I read a good one once about astrology predicting a virgin birth,and then this guy goes on to heal cripples, walk on water and rise from the dead, it's terrible writing, really disjointed and constantly contradicting itself, total hearsay style written by a bunch of different people. Terrible ending too, main character just ascends into heaven and then cameos in a sort of war-drama come Science Fiction end of the world sort of thing in the last chapter.
     I haven't donated to the Salvation Army for many years. I was once involved with the social services, programs for young offenders, and heard stories about Salvation Army Youth Camps. First, I never understood why a Provincial government would allow a very evangelical organization to run a camp for kids under the care of social services, I wonder if they would extend the same benefit to Islamic organizations? Second, I heard how they treated gay teens, they would constantly tell them it was wrong, against God, basically berate them every moment they were there, fun huh? Please enjoy the canoeing and basket weaving too. Apparently the Sally Ann has a long history of an anti-gay agenda. In New Zealand they circulated a petition against the Homosexual Law Reform Act of 1986, this caused quite a bit of controversy and the Salvation Army had to issue an apology. For these reasons, if I am donating I will find a more secular organization in my community.
     Even though the Salvation Army website states they are all about breaking down "barriers that promote an us/them perception" I don't believe it. In light of this recent ban on Harry Potter and Twilight donations I think they are more about spreading the word of their God and not helping the poor. I've known about their demagoguery for some time so I donate directly to my local homeless shelter. I recently drove down 7 old suitcases filled with tons of old but very usable clothes, sheets, kitchen appliances and I know it's going directly to those in need. I wonder how many people think they are doing something good by putting some change in the old Sally Ann kettle? If it suits your beliefs, yay for you, if para-military multi billion dollar evangelicals make you nervous, and they probably should, then please research a non discriminatory secular charity to donate to in your area.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment