Thursday, April 9, 2020

A Pandemic Journal, Pre Easter Madness

     The weather is still so up and down and mostly on the cold side, I passed a house where they are counting the days with paper cut outs pasted in the window, "Day 25" is says but it is actually close to the amount of time the weather took a cold turn for the worse! It feels like it has been cloudy and snowy for at least 25 days! It's almost worse than the pandemic itself. I hear people are bored and complaining about being shut in in California and I just want to say oh really!?!?!? We have had cloud and snow and 20 degrees below normal since end of March, cry me a fricken river! At elast you have some greenery to look at and probably sunshine too? Cripes! We have had a few days of sun, yesterday and today are nice but back to cold and snow for Easter tho, as so often happens, why has god forsaken us? I always ask. I did notice how insanely blue the sky is tho, it is amazing and you think about all the cars and airplanes that are no longer in use, you see the stories of Barcelona or Los Angeles experiencing clear blue skies, like this hasn't happened in living memory, since before the 1950's I imagine, maybe earlier? I wonder if weather will approach normal this summer? That would be different, it is either unprecedented heat with forest fire smoke or unprecedented cold with rain all summer, it's global warming and pollution in general I fear. Anyway, I did see one lone Robin in the park on Monday, more will be here soon, and that is a few weeks later than normal but it has been cold all over Western North America this spring. Tuesday was back to cloud and snow so we missed the largest moon of the year, the Super Pink Moon, it seems to have changed our weather though as sometimes full moons do, at least for now!
     I had to go to my moms on Tuesday, she was giving me my inheritance, a nice little nest egg that I will gladly accept! I thought I would try the Superstore down that neck of the woods, I hate the layout of that store but caters to my white privilege unlike my nearby NE store! They say on signage to limit the number of people you bring as they are limiting the number of people in the store, they also wipe every cart with a lysol wipe when you go in. There are more things available and signs that say you can only buy so many of this product. Check out takes forever, we all have to stand 6 feet apart so the line goes for half a mile down one aisle! I see my friend Maki, I was worried about this, running into someone I know, it always happens in the south, it could be someone from high school or god knows who, I seem to know a lot of people in that part of Calgary. I barely recognize her because of her face mask, we have a nice conversation but it holds up my grocery packing which affects the whole line, sorry! I would hate if someone did this in front of me! My mom is enjoying isolation it seems but who would know from the regular assortment of dust and junk and cookies piled high on the kitchen table? We talk of the usual things, my ancient Aunts who are older than my 85 year old mom and all take this pandemic nonsense with a grain of salt. Oh boi! One of them has bad COPD how will that go??? Conversation usually turns to the History channel and all the alien theories she sees on there, she is currently fascinated by the "Americans" building a secret city 7 miles underground! Wow I was certain human engineering could not go that deep into the Earths crust!? There is also talk, because my Uncle was just in town getting some heart issues looked at, that there are too many women Dr.s! Apparently my mom is very offended by "these women trying to prove they are something", women like Haley Wickennheiser(SP?) who are uppity enough to go the Olympics and become a Dr.! My word what is this world coming to? It's almost as nuts as when she complained there were too many Black and White movies on TCM (Turner Classic Movies). Yep, I grew up with this! Her refrigerator is on the fritz, making a lot of noise so I pull it out and have a look, it is still really clean probably from my dad doing it a few years back before he died. I take the measurements in a mixture of imperial and metric, geeze, such a brain fog these days! I blame the gloomy weather.
     In the news; it's always bad, who can even watch this stuff anymore? I still love American politics however and it breaks that Bernie Sanders is dropping out of the race making Joe Biden the Democratic nominee, it's about time really that we are all done with this nonsense! After watching Once Upon A Time In Hollywood and the Netflix series Mindhunter that featured an episode with Charles Manson I am reminded that the Sanders phenomenon is not unlike the Manson family! Not since the days of the Spahn Ranch have we seen a man whip up 20 somethings into such a religious frenzy! I never liked it, I know a cult following when I see one, the Trump people are just as bad! Why would you replace one cult following with another? I think Joe Biden will do well, as America enters a period of loss and mourning who better than Biden? He understands loss and can always find the right thing to say to people suffering! Trump on the other hand is anathema to empathy, lets see how that goes in this time! The former world is dying, everything may be different after all this.
In a disgusting display of partisan cruelty or insanity or madness the Republicans in Wisconsin, with the help of the Supreme Court, have decided to hold an election! In the times of social distancing, when no one is supposed to be out in a crowd bigger than 10 people. It is as if they hope democrats all die from this and are also hoping crowds are low so they can hold on to their Republican judges on the state level. A photo of one voter holds a sign that says "This is Ridiculous" it is, and criminal and immoral! Trump says in one of his stupid lucid moments (there have been a few) that if too many people voted Republicans would lose. Sheesh! He also said when asked about mail in ballots that it shouldn't be allowed because of fraud yet he just voted by mail in Florida. Yep, this is the kind of crap that goes on on a daily basis with this fucking idiot! I would say expect the same shit show for the November election, Republicans will be hoping that they can kill or expose Democrats to covid thru voting just out of spite, it's disgusting but not unheard of with this bunch! One awesome image from the Wisconsin vote is the Republican guy dressed in full medical gear with medical facemask saying to the media everything is fine, it's perfectly safe, cripes, just ignore the guy in full hazmat suit! Is this a Monty Python sketch or an Orwellian nightmare? I think Americans will be angry enough and so tired of social distancing by November they will be willing to risk death to get rid of Trump, god, aren't all of us?
Thursday is the nicest in the forecast for a very long time, near 11 degrees! I am planning on a few drinks with my favorite soundtrack in the backyard, Jesus Christ Superstar! Hosanna superstar, hosanna superstar....

No comments:

Post a Comment