Friday, March 20, 2020

A Pandemic Journal, Mid March 2020

     Back in the carefree weeks of February a close friend of ours told us of a relative and his family aboard the Diamond Princess Crusise Ship that was currently being docked in Tokyo harbor due to the virus. We would get updates from time to time, eventually the relative contracted the virus as did a few in his family group, one didn't get it at all! We heard on the news today that a Canadian died in Japan from this vessel and I just knew it was this person, I could feel it in me waters, and it was true. The man was 82 years old, it is hitting close to home now! Also MSNBC reported a death from the virus from their backstage family, I wonder how many more we will start to hear about now?

     This has been a helluva week! Monday the 16th to Friday the 20th (last week was Friday the 13th) it seems like forever already! St. Patricks day was pretty silent all over the world. The 3 levels of government here have enacted Emergency measures, most stores are shortening hours, schools, post secondary, all public buildings are closed, the zoo, the science centre everything shut down. Calgary Transit is asking people to board at the back of the bus to lessen contact with drivers. The world is pretty quiet, no traffic, no airplanes. While Canada is pretty much shut down many states in the US are operating as normal, all of them Republican of course! Rachael Maddow reported mid week that Texas, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Missouri, Mississippi, Idaho and Wyoming had no restrictions on large gatherings by Thursday only Idaho and Wyoming were left on that list. Florida was pretty half assed and won't have full closure of beaches till Monday 23rd. We have been treated to footage of drunk 20 year olds who think they are invincible and don't care if they get Carona virus while partying it up on crowded beaches. At the same time we are also learning that those in the age group 20-44 are susceptible to the virus and some have serious consequences! I'm sorry I was never this dumb, my generation grew up under the cloud of AIDS, it was a serious time! I appreciate that the View is on regularly, I thought it was stupid to carry on earlier but now I like this one normal thing left in my life! The downer is that a Trump Press Conference takes over around 9:30 almost every morning and I can't watch this dipshit!!! I did check back on the news about an hour later this morning to find Trump berating some reporter, what good is this? Why are these even happening, most of us think there should be no groups larger than 10 right now and Trump has 10 people appear with him on stage every morning! I seriously wonder if he will resign when people really start to die? He has never taken responsibility and we just got a photo recently of the stable genius who crossed out Corona virus to write Chinese virus over top in sharpie, we are not dealing with a mature or sane person! I was just imagining how a President Hillary would have handled this? We would be so much better off in the world, yet another reason to punch a Trump supporter in the face, if we're alive in 6 months!!!
     My cough is not going away and I feel chest congestion with phlegm, so of course I am worried, Alberta Health Link seems to think I am OK according to the online questionnaire, we will see! Maybe I am having a psychosomatic reaction but Gord feels the same, if it is Carona I hope we can get over with it and not worry! Talked to my mom and maybe she is taking this a little more seriously now, I told her to wear gloves if going out, bring a pen for keypads and get your affairs in order, I know this last one won't happen but thought I'd bring it up anyway! Texted my accountant to see what's up normally this is tax time but I believe the government is extending the season a few months now. Utility companies are forgiving late payment for 2 months or so, everyone is trying to help but the news says it could go on 6 to 12 months!
Walking the Dog; mostly made me mad, after a very gloomy snowy and cold week the sun came out and it is really nice today. With everyone off work the park is pretty crowded, many people not practicing self isolation but rather walking around with a friend or their entire family like they're in a Enya video! I am the only one angry it seems, most schmucks seem to think this is a fun holiday! Bella does not like if anyone coughs or spits which I have done earlier, it makes her act weird and not fetch normally so as I'm on the phone with my mom in the park Bella decides to go up to every single person and drop her Frisbee and get a pet, try to tell this dog to stay 6 feet away from people! I just want to yell out "Don't touch my things, not my dog or the toy!!!" Geeze, it is not normal times people! I am soaking the toy in bleach and hot water right now! I am used to having the world to myself in the week and I like it that way!
     Had a dream this morning that I met Michael J. Fox yet he wasn't affected by Parkinsons I told him he was nice but he seemed pretty cool- detached, for some reason Mary Heart was there too, dreams are stupid sometimes! I had another creepy dream back in the winter, I was looking out of my parents window to the North East but the area was how it used to be before the wall and all the development, I could see the moon on the horizon and then it set. Problem is, when I woke up I realized the moon would never be in the NE or set in the East, I took it as a death premonition now I take it as Mother Earth is spinning backward and likely not happy with us! Or both! Geeze.
     My appetite is decreased either from the chest cold or from stress or not doing anything, I do feel tired a lot too. A piece of my bottom right molar also broke off on Wednesday, it makes that side a little sensitive for chewing but this is no time to see a dentist, how can they even practice during this outbreak? I will be fine worse things have happened to my molars!
     Watched 2011's Contagion last night, an all star cast, big budget film about a fictional pandemic. There are many really good parallels to the real one happening now and some not so good ones as this is a drama after all! I'd give it 3/5 stars because after one hour it goes nowhere, why and what is the story again? What they got right: bat DNA mixing with pigs create a super virus spread thru a Chinese chef to Gwenyth Paltrow who spreads it all over Hong Kong and then Chicago while having an affair on her husband Matt Damon, you deserve it girl, cheatin on Damon tsk tsk! I just watched a bunch of documentaries on the Spanish Flu so I know they have based this fictional virus on that very real virus, quick and gruesome death and a super easy to catch respiratory virus. Widespread panic at grocery stores although in this movie it was more like a riot, funeral homes refusing the dead out of fear of catching it, could happen, we'll see. A long isolation period of up to a year, we are certainly looking at that and most sad of all the teenage girl of Damon can't get bizzy with her beau or even have a Prom! And this can certainly happen as we have closed schools probably for the rest of the year, a lost year for Grade 12's indeed. Imagine losing a year of your life at that age and staying at home with your stupid parents! What they got wrong: As in most American movies there is a competent President, I'm afraid in our real life situation this is not the case!!! And a military to hand out out food, although this resulted in a riot in the movie. A functional and speedy CDC filled with the smartest scientists (Lawrence Fishburn) who created a vaccine in a year. There was one part about Congress cashing in on the plague which  actually parallels a new scandal evolving right now, we will see, I believe it, Republicans are the lowest slime on earth in the Trump era!
     It was the most exhausting week on Earth it seems but we have sun and warm weather for a few days, you can really feel the warmth in the sun and the seagulls and robins should be migrating back soon. Went thru my seeds today, I can probably get by with what I have, I don't know if stores are open, it's going to be mostly food growing I think as produce could double or quadruple soon, no migrant workers, we are about to find out how fragile our food system is and how much we depend on migrant workers from Central America! I was going to host an open garden for the Horticultural Society this summer but everything is in limbo, I don't know if we can morally afford to have decorative plants right now!?!?!? Well the death toll should start climbing next week (and that is my Debbie Downer moment for the day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment